Neddick is an Open Source Enterprise Information Discovery Platform – part of the Fogcutter suite – which features numerous capabilities which allow firms to solve problems related to knowledge and information sharing, knowledge transfer, innovation and collaboration. Neddick combines technologies and techniques from the Semantic Web, the Social Web, Machine Learning, Artificial Intelligence and Information Retrieval to enable powerful capabilities for knowledge management and collaboration.
Capabilities enable solutions to business problems, and are supported by one or more technical features. Neddick provides a substantial array of capabilities, through a large – and growing – list of features. The capabilities are used to address problems like: situations where knowledge exists within the organization but is not accessible or available when required; missed opportunities due to lack of knowledge / awareness at some level of the organization; lack of information required to make timely & accurate decisions; time wasted searching for knowledge and information that is spread across disparate databases, repositories, people and processes; and lack of context to connect bits of knowledge & information, among others.
- Collaborative Filtering - Leverage the “Wisdom of Crowds”effect to filter a firehose of information to select the most relevant items. Users vote for or against items and tag their votes with semantic assertions (“informative” “funny” “insightful” etc) and items rise or fall in the rankings based on votes
- Content Aggregation - Related pieces of content are brought together and presented as a whole. Content aggregation is based on user defined rules and filters.
- Context Exploration - Pieces of content are show with associated context, where context may include: Other content (documents), people, calendar entries, business events, etc.
- External Application Integration - Provides hooks to integrate external applications: sending and receiving messages using standard protocols and formats such as HTTP, JMS, SOAP, XML, RDF, ActivityStrea.ms, JSON, etc. ScrewPile apps can include additional knowledge from external sources, and external apps can leverage the capabilities of the ScrewPile suite components.
- Full-text Search - Keywords (and synonyms) that are located in a document are used to locate that document and make it accessible to the user. The most relevant documents are returned earlier in the result set.
- Group Collaboration - Groups of individuals are provided with areas to share status updates, files, and other content used when collaborating in groups. Group messaging is supported to make it seamless for group members to communicate with each other.
- P2P Collaboration - Two individual users are able to access information needed to collaborate to reach a goal.
- Personalized Information Stream - A user is able to build a stream which shows him/her topical items related to his interests, projects, teams, groups, etc., while eliminating distracting noise and useless items.
- Rapid Recall - A user is quickly able to access previously located entities (documents, links, etc.)
- Real-time Alerting - Users are notified through dynamic alerting mechanisms (xmpp, sms, etc) when certain events occur, thresholds are reached, etc.
- Social Information Sharing - Users share information that will be useful within their organization, and said information is made available to other users: sometimes targeted sharing, sometimes broadcast to anyone (select by interest, by social connection, etc)
- Technology Radar - Identify technological developments - which may present either a threat to the enterprise, or a groundbreaking new opportunity - as early as possible.